Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Destination Recover(ed): Day 20

September 4, 2012

What I DON'T MISS about my eating disorder: Behavior modification. I remember a lot of the programs and treatments I was in used this approach, taking away "privelages" if you didn't follow your meal plan or reach your daily goals or if you acted out and didn't follow the rules. In hospitals I've had been put on bed restriction, phone and visitor restriction, had my clothes taken away etc. When I was younger my parents used to take away my music, restrict me from seeing my friends, no extra curriculars etc. For a person with control issues, like ed sufferers, all this does is take away from the focus of treatment and create a power struggle.

What I'm NOT GOING TO MISS about my eating disorder: My hair falling out at the alarming and disturbing rate it does now. I am pretty sure I could have made 2 wigs from the hair I collected from washing my hair this morning. Sadly my hair has thinned out and become dry and brittle. I look forward to my hair reflecting my recovery it look and be healthy, shiny and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment