Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Taking The First Step – Seattle


Eating disorder recovery, diabetes management, and weight management can be life altering. Deciding to take action by setting up your first session can be the most difficult step in the recovery process. Fear around this first appointment, whether it be with me or any provider, means telling your story to a stranger. Just scheduling a time to do this can be anxiety provoking.
Not only does it feel fearful to schedule an appointment, but anticipating what will happen in the appointment is hard. Questions that arise about me include;
  • Who is she?
  • What will she do to my food?
  • What will she force me to eat or give up?
  • What will she think of me?
  • Is she already judging me for even showing up?
  • Am I too sick or not sick enough for her practice?
Due to my adherence to food being a symptom or side note to true issues with food, we spend the first session talking about what lead to the food issues with which you are struggling. I don’t usually weigh patients, or discuss food with them in the initial appointment. As important as the food is, the story behind it will give us the solutions to your ultimate health goals. Trust is usually built in this session due to the vulnerability that naturally comes with telling your story and my intense and active listening.
I usually do not give food goals, after the first session, but do give non-food goals. I will also forecast our next session’s discussion in order to not seem mysterious or surprising.
Take that first step, call and make an appointment for your first session. Also, don’t forget to sign up for our free newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment