Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Diabetes Management – Seattle – The Most Common Question


Diabetes, I believe, can be controlled, managed, and overcome. A diagnosis of diabetes can have a huge emotional impact including denial, anger, hopelessness, and grief. You may wonder what you’re going to have to sacrifice, and how your life will change from the way it is today, which leads many to believe diabetes is in control of life. These are all real concerns and with the right tools and mindset, you can control your diabetes rather than allowing it to control you.
One of the most common questions I get about diabetes management is: “Can I lower my hemoglobin A1C while I eat the foods I like?” My answer to this is absolutely yes, because my style is to work with all aspects of your lifestyle, because that should be the natural progression of gaining control over diabetes.
Questions I focus on when working with patients include:
  • What do you normally eat on a daily basis?
  • Would it be possible to add food options that could lower your A1C?
  • What’s the one thing that might be threatening your diabetes management?
  • What are foods you’re not crazy about, that if manipulated, you would not notice?
By never asking you to give up your favorite food, we are able to work toward reachable goals without resistance on either side of the table. We then start to work on emotional aspects of change, what that might mean, and when ready, take the next step.
My approach is to work with foods you already like and focus on moving times they are eaten throughout the day, making change easier by keeping them part of your life. You start to become comfortable with food and timing that stabilizes blood sugar. My motto for diabetes management is to “Go Beyond It”. By this, I mean that food becomes normal, and not something you must think about. This allows you to focus on other areas of your life aside from diabetes.
Ultimately, at Ramey Nutrition, you gain full control of your diabetes, which means that you have a hemoglobin A1C less than 6mg/dL, and your life becomes your focus, not your diabetes. It is important to me that you ultimately find yourself free of diabetes and free to live without the stigma of disease.
Take that first step and sign up for our newsletter and stay informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment